Monday, December 24, 2007

dinosaurs of the jurassic period

Brachiosaurus, one of the largest land animals to ever roam the earth, lived during the middle to late Jurassic period.

Dinosaurs, one of the most successful groups of animals (in terms of longevity) that have ever lived, were found in many diverse sizes and shapes, with many diverse modes of living. The term Dinosauria was invented by Sir Richard Owen in 1842 to describe these fearfully great reptiles, specifically Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, and Hylaeosaurus, the only three dinosaurs known at the time. The creatures that we normally think of as dinosaurs lived during the Mesozoic Era, from late in the Triassic period (about 225 million years ago) until the end of the Cretaceous (about 65 million years ago). But we now know that they actually live on today as the birds.

Firmly planted between the Triassic and the Cretaceous periods of geologic time, the Jurassic period lasted for approximately 70 million years, beginning 206 mya (million years ago) and lasting until 144 mya.

Great plant-eating dinosaurs roamed the earth, feeding on lush, green ferns and palm-like cyads and bennettitaleans, Smaller, but vicious, carnivores stalked the great herbivores. Oceans teemed with fish, squid, coiled ammonites, great ichthyosaurs and long-necked plesiosaurs.

Today, when you think Jurassic, images of the incredibly successful book and movie “Jurassic Park” probably come to mind. Although it is true that dinosaurs dominated the land animals of that period, many of the dinosaurs featured in “Jurassic Park”, such as the Triceratops and the Tyrannosaurus rex, did not emerge until after the Jurassic was over. The largest land animals of the Jurassic period were the gigantic sauropods, such as the Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus. Other herbivorous dinosaurs of the Jurassic included the plated stegosaurs. Fearsome predatory dinosaurs included carnosaurs such as Allosaurus, small, fast coelurosaurs, and ceratosaurs such as Dilophosaurus. The first birds, such as the Archaeopteryx, appears during the Jurassic as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter
to be actually something which I think I would never understand.
It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next
post, I'll try to get the hang of it!

Here is my website - anti cellulite treatment

Unknown said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement, the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com